Thursday, May 25, 2006

It's a Media Frenzy!

Three people in the past week have quizzed me -- ok, *grilled me* -- on what I'm reading. As a book editor, I always think it's interesting to hear what people are digging into, or putting down, or finally getting to, but for some reason, I find it oddly uncomfortable when I get asked about it. Contrary to popular opinion, some editors don't read that much for fun. I read almost no fiction (primarily because most of it's just so awful.) Plus, I think books are pretty personal. Half the time, I'm reading something embarrassingly bad. So, for those of you who are interested (and apparently you're out there which mystifies me, but to each his own voyeuristic freakshow), here's my current media list:

Books: Just finished Freakonomics. Loved it. Everyone is telling me to read The World is Flat, but I looked at it in the bookstore and it looked too deep. As a rule, I don't read books that take the fun out of learning. I'm currently reading The 911 Commission Report, Triathlons for Women (by Sally Edwards), The Complete Book of Triathlons (also by Sally Edwards), and an unpublished manuscript that I have to finish by the weekend.

Over the holiday weekend as I'm traveling, I hope to read The Twentieth Wife (sort of an Indian Memoirs of a Geisha), Tony Bordain's new book The Nasty Bits, and another manuscript. I'll do a bookswap with my dad when I get home and end up re-reading the most recent Harry Potter book. (I read a lot when I'm gone.)

Audio: In the car (10 hours of driving), this weekend, I'll be listening to Naked in Baghdad (NPR correspondent Anne Garrels' book on her time in Baghdad during the Iraq war) and The Devil in the White City (by Erik Larson). Yes, I know I'm the last person in America who hasn't read this book.

Music: What's on my playlist these days? Why, inspirational post-workout tunes, of course! Teddy Geiger's Love is a Marathon (ain't that the truth), Confidence (also by Teddy Geiger), and Mick Jagger's God Gave Me Everything I Want. (Hey, baby, you put Lenny Kravitz on guitar behind The Old Rugged Cross and I'd love it.)

Blogs: OK, what blogs I'm reading is something I'm comfortable with. I share pointers every day! Welcome to Jeffrey and Carole's new addition, Revelin Newton McManus. Cool name, kid! Good thing Jeffrey didn't follow through and blog the whole thing from the delivery room. Over at IndyNess, I'm loving reading all about Vanessa and Mel's quest to be their own baby mamas down to every last excrutiating detail about ovulation and insemination. At IndyScribe, Jennifer Bortel posts some pics of the mini Marathon, focusing especially on the weird music groups along the way.

Food: What? What? You want to know what I'm eating? Right this second? OK, I give up. Total yogurt with honey from Trader Joe's. There! Is that enough for you? Sickos.

2 Comments:

At Thu May 25, 02:02:00 PM, Blogger torporindy said...

I have been wanting to read Freakonomics for some time. I am not a fan of Thomas Friedman though.(the world is flat)

 
At Thu May 25, 03:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freakonomics is useful if for no other reason than to find out why most drug dealers still live at home with their moms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home