Thursday, May 04, 2006

Lawgeekgurl over at Cerulean Blue has a solid take on the Garton defeat and what it means to Indiana. It's a sad state of affairs when the economic development and progress for this state we all work on is made to sit in the back seat of the religous car driven by a right-wing nutjob. I disagree with her about the governor, but in terms of the legislator, I think she's spot on. She writes:

The whackjob religious extremists have made startling inroads in the legislature. There were always what we called the "God Squadders" who cared more about what you were doing in your bedroom than the state's economic health, job creation, public health, or any of the other myriad problems facing Indiana. But in the last five years or so, it's become downright scary. Moderates have given way to extremists. Reasoned debate (to the extent that there was any - it's the legislature, after all) has given way to hyperbolic, incendiary rhetoric. What the hell is it that someone like Larry Borst could be knocked off in the primary by an unknown nutjob whose sole platform was anti-abortion, anti-abortion and more anti-abortion? What kind of place is it where an institution like Bob Garton, President Pro Tem of the Senate for 36 years can get booted in the primary by someone with no legislative experience whose positions are: home schooling, anti-abortion, and a gun in every pot. He says things like "Revisionist judges should not secularize religious expression in Indiana" for crying out loud. That doesn't even make sense, for God's sake!

More from her (along with an excellent post on Stephen Colbert's skewering of the President.

4 Comments:

At Sat May 06, 11:21:00 AM, Blogger Wes said...

I grew up in Indiana (near Bedford - went to the same church as Lt. Gov. Skillman) and studied electronic music for a year with Robert Garton's son Brad at the University of Cincinnati.

I'm also a fiercely liberal/progressive Democrat who has a lot of respect for the old-school Republicans like Sen. Garton.

I may be moving back to Indiana (crossing fingers, believe it or not - I love my gig here in Massachusetts, but my fiancée and I both miss the Midwest terribly), and I hope that the far right hasn't completely hijacked the Indiana Republican Party that gave us such honorable opponents as Sen. Dick Lugar and State Sen. Garton.

WF

 
At Mon May 08, 03:39:00 PM, Blogger Brian D. said...

As at said at LawGeekGurl's place I don't think the voters cared what Walker's platform was and might not even know. They voted NOT-BOB-GARTON because they were pissed at his taxpayer funded $4 to $1 retirement fund and free health care for life policy.

I predict a Democrat victory once the voters realize they nominated a whackjob. It'll be the NOT-WALKER vote in November.

 
At Fri May 12, 04:49:00 PM, Blogger Wes said...

Oh, it gets better. Walker goes to the church (25th Street Church of Christ) where my brother-in-law used to preach.

I do actually remember a time when the Church of Christ wasn't batshit insane. I'm tired of the right-wingers hijacking the faith of my fathers.

WF

 
At Fri May 12, 07:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Brother. Can I get an "Amen". AMEN! Can I get another "Amen." AMEN!! Can I get a big AMEN for Brother Walker!


Cue crickets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home