Saturday, April 15, 2006

What the Hell Happened Last Night?!

What the hell did you people do to The Powers That Be to make them unleash that un-holy round of hell storms on us last night -- for the 2nd week in a row? Here I am, lounging on the couch reading a really bad novel when I hear *THONK* *CRASH* *THONK*. Golfballs are raining from the sky. The big ones which are 2-2.5 inches across are hitting the sidewalk and shattering. Car windows are breaking. The really huge ones are ricocheting between the buildings hitting windows -- that's the loud *THONK* I'm hearing. The noise on the roof is pretty disconcerting. I retreat from the windows to the main stairs in my apartment deciding upstairs isn't such a great place to be either.

It was over in 10 minutes. I settle in to a geeky night watching Derek Accorah channel olde English shopkeepers and murderers (this week's Ghost Towns set a record for possessions!), and damned if halfway through Most Haunted (about the time the "astral" is table tipping and turning a television on and off) the sirens go off again and the hail starts in again.

I'd chalk it up to the holy history of Good Friday, but I'm sure it has more to do with the State Supreme Court upholding the Voter ID Bill.

Update: And I just hung up with the insurance company.

a) My poor car looks like someone took a baseball bat to it. The hood is especially dented up with big chunks of paint missing.

b) The building next door which still has all the old fashioned, large, paned windows is a hodgepodge of broken glass. (I can't imagine huge hail stones crashing in and skipping across the floor.) Our 95-year-old windows were replaced last summer with full modern storm windows and we had no breakage (although it wasn't for lack of the hail trying.)

c) There are lots of cars with plastic over broken windows all up and down Meridian between 32nd and south.

d) My insurance company (USAA) has so many car claims they gave me an appointment with the adjustor on Monday and said "look for the tent outside."

4 Comments:

At Sat Apr 15, 04:23:00 PM, Blogger Brian D. said...

Ouch!!!!! I'm sorry about your car and your neighbors windows. Sounds like you're in nice old houses.

I was at my parents' house and luckily we only had pea sized hail. It still scared the dog silly for 15 minutes.

I've lived here forever and rarely seen hail. Now I've seen it 3 times in 3 weeks. What the hell is going on???

 
At Sun Apr 16, 07:27:00 AM, Blogger Nez said...

Scared the bejebus out of the cat!

 
At Sun Apr 16, 10:04:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

My car is in the same shape. I have a nice crack in my windshield as well.

 
At Sun Apr 16, 04:24:00 PM, Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

I'm so sorry! You expect that kind of thing in the Panhandle ...

Peace! Peace and burgers to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home