Thursday, November 17, 2005

An Indiana Christmas Story


There is one thing everyone remembers about Jean Shepherd's Indiana holiday comedy, A Christmas Story -- the leg lamp. While it's not really one of my favorite Christmas movies, I can see the appeal from a Hoosier perspective and can understand what's made it into a Christmas Classic. (What do I know from classic? Love Actually is a classic Christmas movie to me.) Good for us that the Indiana Historical Society appreciates the appeal and is reveling in it this holiday season. They'll be showing the movie non-stop on December Saturdays and carrying an entire line of A Christmas Story movie merchandise including the iconic "major award" leg lamp. (Having a leg lamp on display in your front window for all of your neighbors to see is a fantastic idea, especially if it embarrasses the hell out of your family.) Through their gift shop and online store, they feature a whole line of merchandise. The leg lamp snowglobe and Ralphie-with-his-tongue-frozen-to-the-lamppost lunch box are my two favorite pieces. They're showing the movie free at the Basile Theater at the Indiana Historical Society on Dec 3, 10, and 17th continuously from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. It might a good chance to check out what all the hoopla is about -- and get your own leg lamp, of course.

1 Comments:

At Mon Nov 21, 08:35:00 PM, Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

I can't believe you don't think the Christmas Story flick, known in the ER household as "The Shoot Your Eye Out Movie," is the best *ever* -- ranks right up there with "It's a Wonderful Life," in my book. :-)

But I also agree: "Love Actually" was a classic from the beginning of the intro narration. Dr. ER and I LOVE that movie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home