Saturday, April 23, 2005

Fiction and Firsts

What a year it's been for first novels! From last summer's The Rule of Four, a light but well-written Da Vinci-code style thriller by Princeton graduates Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomas to the massive and amazing Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, the first effort of English writer Susannah Clarke, this year has been a fertile time for new writers. Even with some new hits from long established writers -- Wolfe's I Am Charlotte Simmons and Roth's The Plot Against America -- more first novels have made more of a splash this year. Among those that are notable, I just finished Prep, a novel from Curtis Sittenfeld who perfectly captured the awkwardness of a midwestern outsider at an exclusive east coast boarding school right down to the very adult but yet very high school romance with a popular boy. It's enough to make me starting reading more fiction! Maybe I'll keep collecting firsts and save them up for my next big summer reading binge.

1 Comments:

At Sun Apr 24, 10:23:00 PM, Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

I am on a fiction binge! Just started "Gulliver's Travels" tonite! ... Hey, if you come by my place tonight, you better be wearin' shades. Hoo boy. I have stirred 'em up. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home