Monday, August 28, 2006

It's Official: I Am Old (Go Principal Mayerik!)

These kids today! I never thought it would come to this but it's official. I am an old fuddy-duddy. A killer of fun. An unsupportive spectator in the fashion arena of teen cool. Why? Because I obviously don't get it. I don't get the baggy pants. (Aren't those so out of style?) I don't get the long t-shirts. (Dude, in LA, that's a dress and girls wear it with no bra.) I don't get the crop tops and belly button rings (OK, I do understand those but not on a 13-year-old) nor can I conceive what would posses a parent to let their high-schooler out of the house for school in a cleavage barring top. But then, I don't have kids.

Enter my new hero who apparently doesn't get it either. Meet Principal Theresa Mayerik of Morton High School in Hammond, Indiana who suspended 128 students for dress code violations, 10% of the school's student body -- on the first day of school! Go Principal Mayerik! I'm an old fuddy duddy who says "Right on!" The school board and a large number of parents said "Right on," too. Kids were suspended for one day and the suspension will be dropped from their record in 12 weeks if there are no further violations.

Maybe parents today have to pick their battles. Maybe it's gnashing of teeth over cell phone minutes versus clothes. I'd probably let my kid wear a Daisy Duke skirt and stilettos to school if it would get her off the phone. On the other hand, nothing could make me OK those ridiculous baggy pants.

2 Comments:

At Tue Aug 29, 09:30:00 AM, Blogger Brian D. said...

I remember when leg warmers and big puffy hair were hot.

Anyway I digress. Given how long droopy pants have been in style you would think it would be out of style by now. On the plus side sometimes you hear a story about a guy commiting a crime and then is unable to run away because his pants drop to his ankles. I have no idea how they can walk around bow legged all day to keep them up.

One teacher I worked with last year put twist ties in the belt loops to secure the pants on a 7th grader. I loved it.

Teens always want to break the rules and they will if no one will enforce them. Cudos to Principle Mayerik. Boundaries exist and the sooner they learn not to cross them the better. If only schools would really force the girls to not wear the ridicuously short skirts. Hard to enough to keep hormonely challenged boys focused without temptation forgetting to cross their ankles.

Oh wait, I'm not a teacher this year. Let it be someone else's problem.

 
At Mon Sep 25, 11:28:00 AM, Blogger Sir Hailstone said...

All the more reason why even public schools should have uniforms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home