Sunday, February 20, 2005

Weekend Reading

Finished two big books this weekend and finally feel like I accomplished something. Really loved Philip Roth's The Plot Against America (thought provoking for today's world) and also enjoyed Susannah Clark's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, (especially the last 150 pages) although its nearly 800-page size made it a bit of an odessey. I'm now ready to tackle I Am Charlotte Simmons, but I'll probably throw in Louis Bayard's Mr. Timothy or Alan Hollinghurst's The Line of Beauty before I get back to it. (I'm already about 100 pages in.) At some point, I promise, I'll read the next two Jasper Ffordes -- Something Rotten and The Well of Lost Plots, both of which are now out in trade paperback, but I bought in hardcover months ago. Still to come in the spring reading stack is Michael Korda's Horse People (he's one of my favorite non-fiction authors), Joe Trippi's book about Dean's campaign which I still haven't finished, John Lee Anderson's The Fall of Baghdad (hyped but never took off), and Paul Theroux's The Kingdom By the Sea, bought before my vacation and still unread.

1 Comments:

At Fri Feb 25, 08:59:00 AM, Blogger Erudite Redneck said...

Be sure and give us a revieew of Charlotte Simmons. I've been tempted to pick it up and make it the one book of current fiction I read this year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home